Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mother of a Puppy

My husband and puppy left early last Sunday morning. They were on there way to go hunting with some other boys and dogs. They have gone hunting a few times, just the Man and Dog, but Sunday was the first day that they are going out with others. And I was so nervous! I just want my little man to do well, and be popular, and be a natural. I want to be able to brag about how intelligent our little Cody is. "Oh, my Cody, he just flushed out those birds like it was nothing. He pointed and fetched like nobody's business." Or whatever I would say proudly about a dog, I don't know this-I'm not the hunter, just the mommy.

So, what's the deal? Why do I care how my dog does? I didn't want Mark's hunter buddies thinking we were not good dog owners. Do I really associate how my dog does hunting at 7 months old with how I am perceived? Apparently. Is it wrong? Probably. But the thing that scares me the most is this is just my dog. How horrible will it be with my actual children, my flesh and blood, those that carry half of my genetic makeup? Oh gawd, how will I deal. I'm sure I'll be a great mother up until that time that I have to interact with others.

No comments: