Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What's for supper?

I've decided to add another section to this wonderful little thing. What's for Supper? It's a great question, and something that is always discussed throughout the day at work, something always on my mind, and I know a concern of my husbands. It's not something I'll do everyday. For one, I don't cook every night. For two, you probably don't want to hear how I make hamburger helper (though as my husband puts it, I even have to 'Miranda up' the ol' Helper box.)

So, what's for supper?

Tonight it's knip. Knip is a German dish that my husband's family makes. This last year was the first time I got to help out with the whole process. We boiled pork and beef, used the broth to make oatmeal and mixed and ground it all together, added allspice, and we ended up with knip! Sounds weird, and it kind of is, but it's a great cold weather meal. We throw it in a skillet, let it get real crispy and serve it with cornbread and dark corn syrup.

In case you don't have a massive cast iron pot to boil 30 lbs of meat outside yourself, you can most likely travel to your nearest locker plant and find some there, especially if you live in a German-influenced area. Plus I have a few extra bags in my freezer if you want to come over and try it!

No comments: