Monday, October 13, 2008

Thank you Mr. Ericson

So, I have to say, I have a problem with Christopher Columbus. I mean, I just don't understand why we celebrate the fact that some random, lost guy ran into the Bahamas, especially when a beautiful, striking, tall Norse explorer, Leif Ericson, was the real first European to discover North America. He's the true hero. And actually October 9th is recognized as "Leif Ericson Day" in some areas. And so, I will forever spend my days, informing and encouraging others to recognize the importance of the Viking Ericson.

*This has nothing to do with my maiden name being Erickson, nothing. Nope, not even when I was in fourth grade and first read the true story, hoping my classmates would recognize the true legacy of the Eric(k)son name and applaud my amazing family-forever understanding what a fraud Columbus was. I knew then that Leif Ericson's true honor was stolen. I am not biased by my maiden name at all.

No comments: